The history of Main Street Baptist Church begins not as the grand stone church it is today but rather as a humble wooden chapel…In the late 1880’s Binghamton’s First Baptist Church, located downtown, sought to reach out to other areas of the city. A wooden chapel was erected on the corner of Main and Florence Streets to serve as a Sunday School Mission Church. It was organized as a church in 1889, called Memorial Baptist. In 1892 the church was moved (by horse power) to the corner of Main and Chestnut Streets.
Construction began in 1903 for the sanctuary building and it was finished and dedicated in 1905 with more classroom space finished in the basement by 1938. The original building is now our Chapel.
Plans for the new Sunday School building were made dating back to the 1920’s. The Educational Building came into full planning and was finished by 1953. The building was dedicated to Rev. John Sivewright and to those who have served their country in the armed forces.
Fourteen pastors have served here since 1889.
Since 1951 the morning service has been broadcast over radio station WKOP (now WYOS), but recently was changed to live stream over the internet.
Missions have always been greatly emphasized with a monthly Breadbox Offering, and weekly giving to our Benevolence budget.
We rejoice in the provision of the Lord for our church during all these years plus and are confident that as his Word continues to be preached, hearts will be touched for Christ and lives will be transformed.